Tami's version of Our Adventures through India, SouthEast Asia + Beyond

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Things That Never Happen at Home #4

Being out here traveling is so fundamentally different from my day-to-day at home that I often find myself pondering these differences. There's the obvious - Not sitting behind a desk + computer all day; Not having neck cramps from holding the phone to my ear with my shoulder as I multi-task; No stress; No set routine. Now, in contrast - We brave the hot sun + freezing cold outside; My cramps are now in my legs from walking all day long; We ARE free to do as we like, but we're not out here with endless time or money to burn so we ARE judicious in our spending + in making each day count. When I reflect back at the end of each day, week, month... What are the things that seem worthwhile or even important??? It's the experiences of meeting memorable local characters or other like-minded travelers that you can picture yourself being friends with at home; Of tasting some delicious + unique food that you never even knew existed that you'll try to replicate for friends; A wonderous, soul-inspiring sight that burns itself into your memory and which you revisit later in your dreams; AND those rare moments when the big, bright lightbulb in your head goes off and you gain a new insight. THIS will be my ongoing attempt to capture + relate some of the latter. Here goes...



Serious Country Pride

Maybe it's got something to do with living in a "blue state", but I couldn't TELL you the last time I heard that old classic Proud to be an American. Call me jaded, but I've become so embarrased about the state of my country and it's supposed representation of the American peoples' will, that I don't voluntarily mention my nationality up out here unless asked, and even then so with hesitation. I'm not saying that Americans shouldn't travel because we're targets for terrorism or hate crimes - even knowing of our track record of horrific involvement in WAY too many other countries affairs, and that our so called "help" is more about helping US than THEM. On the contrary, I've actually been pleasantly surprised that most I've met hold no ill will against us as a people, just our government. But when you've traveled to places like Cuba, Guatemala, El Salvador + Vietnam, and actually spoken face-to-face with the people, especially those that were directly involved with the interference of the U.S. Government, you can't help but develop a self-loathing for your Americanism.

In countries like Spain, France, Thailand and China, there's such an old, rich history and the people are PROUD. These have done their own regretful deeds in selfish interest and in the search for power, so I'm not just singling out the U.S. Regardless, they're proud as a people, and as a country, and figure that you must think so too since you're there visiting. So they heartily welcome you, in word and in deed - Saying that they're so glad you're there, that they hope you like their country, offering help, buying you a little something as a token of hospitality (the latter only in Asia). Vietnam has been SO fascinating in this respect. Our involvement here was SO devastating, and unjustified, and recent. Yet the people here have been so friendly, even upon hearing we're Americans. The general attitude seems to be that it's past, lets just move on and build a strong relationship now to heal the wounds between our countries. Despite, or maybe because of, the country's turbulent past, their red and yellow flag is flown EVERYWHERE. Hell, even I dig the country so much that I now wear it emblazoned across my chest. Seems to be getting me good deals at the markets these days too... :)



8/24 - Thailand Postscript

O.K. So the Thai's take the cake on this subject. If you didn't know, they LOVE their King. I mean, REALLY love him. In the sense of getting misty eyed and totally reverential just in mentioning his name. My God, he's not... God. But I think they'd beg to differ. We've now been witness to several morning flag raises + evening lowerings, each accompanied by the broadcasting of the national anthem. The moment it starts, EVERY SINGLE PERSON - STOPS! In place. Or stands. The look of utmost solemnity on their faces for the duration. Once it's over, it's as if you pushed "Play" on a "Pause" image and you'd think you just imagined it all. Oh yeah, and the uninforced dress code of the country is to wear yellow. The King's color. You're sometimes engulfed in a sea of yellow shirts. Now THIS is serious country pride!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home